Welcome to the Brucejack Mine!
We are Pretivm – a Canadian mining company, headquartered in Vancouver, BC and the proud owner of the Brucejack Gold Mine. Brucejack Mine is a 3,800 tonnes-per-day high-grade gold underground mine located in northwestern British Columbia, approximately 65 kilometers north of Stewart.
As an employer, we are committed to ensuring a safe, comfortable and diverse working environment. We are working closely with our neighbours – the local communities and First Nations - to provide employment.
About the opportunity:
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Chief Assayer to join the Brucejack Mine in Northwestern, British Columbia.
The Chief Assayer position is located at Pretium Exploration Inc.'s "Pretivm" Brucejack Mine and reports to the Metallurgical Superintendent or designate.
The Chief Assayer’s primary responsibility is to manage the operational aspects of the Assay Laboratory. The Chief Assayer oversees and coordinates all laboratory functions and is responsible for the accurate qualitative and quantitative analyses and reporting of samples.
Perform following duties, with safety being the number one priority:
- Manage the assaying department.
- Provide a platform for strong leadership and workforce empowerment by training and developing Assay Lab employees in all aspects of the lab functions and duties.
- Coordinate and liaison with the mill, geological and mining department to ensure all samples are accounted and assayed within the established turnaround time lines.
- Directs the processing and testing of ore samples and analyzes results to determine grade, value and mineral properties.
- Develops appropriate industry standard assay procedures and instructional references for assay staff.
- Perform operation and maintenance of key analytical equipment such as Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer, fusion furnaces, microbalance, XRF, related lab equipment and sample preparation equipment.
- Direct and coordinate with Mill Maintenance and external vendors for proper maintenance of lab and analytic equipment.
- Ensure weekly production targets are met and makes recommendations for improvement when necessary.
- Research and implement new technology as available to increase effectiveness and efficiency of assay operations.
- Ensure that all employees work safely and in accordance with applicable legislation, company policy, standards, and procedures.
- Work closely with the mill trainers to develop training programs for each position.
- Report hazards & incidents in a timely manner in accordance with Pretivm’s Health and Safety protocols.
- Maintain and control Assay Laboratory inventory and place orders as required to ensure continuous operations.
- Provide assistance and information to complete the annual mill department budget.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports consisting of, but not limited to, production statistics, consumables usage as well as safety and training.
- Organize, schedule and direct personnel activities.
- Prepare and implement SOPs related to health and safety of lab operations, sample preparation and lab assaying techniques.
- Liaise with other departments (safety, environmental, surface operations, mill operations, metallurgy and geology) for the purposes of proper assay department functions.
- Other duties as required.
Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or Chemical and Metallurgical Technology diploma combined with a minimum of fifteen (15) years’ experience in a gold mine assay lab combined with three (5) years of direct supervisory responsibility.
- Strong expertise/knowledge of mineral processing, extraction and assaying
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills
- Effective organizational, time management and analytical skills.
- Strong computer skills to include data processing and data base management.
- Previous experience with LIMS is an asset.
- Strong working knowledge of Canadian Federal and Provincial mining & safety legislation and regulations.
- Able and willing to work at a remote camp location on a 2 week rotation schedule
- Must be fit for work and pass medical screening
- Comfortable working in close quarters with the team & in extreme weather conditions
- Pretivm promotes a drug and alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory employment drug testing and with cause drug testing.
What we can offer you!
We are committed to ensuring that all of our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable camp accommodations, as well as balanced meals prepared by our culinary team.
Team members can expect access to TV and wifi, our on-site gym and a variety of recreational activities.
All of our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Paid travel days, including transport to and from site.
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications.
- Extended medical benefits and wellness coverage.
It is important to note that the wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING NEW CHALLENGE JOIN PRETIVM AND THE BRUCEJACK MINE TODAY!