Health & Safety Advisor
Welcome to the Brucejack Mine!
We are Pretivm – a Canadian mining company, headquartered in Vancouver, BC and the proud owner of the Brucejack Gold Mine. Brucejack Mine is a 3,800 tonnes-per-day high-grade gold underground mine located in northwestern British Columbia, approximately 65 kilometers north of Stewart.
As an employer, we are committed to ensuring a safe, comfortable and diverse working environment. We are working closely with our neighbours – the local communities and First Nations - to provide employment.
About the Opportunity:
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Health & Safety Advisor to join the Brucejack Mine in Northwestern, British Columbia.
Located approximately 65 kilometers from Stewart, you will report to the H&S Superintendent and alternatively to the H&S Manager’s designate(s) and work a rotating schedule encompassing 13 days on/off, 2 travel days, with 12 hour shifts.
Pretivm recognizes that worker health and safety is paramount to our success. We are committed to the well-being of our employees, contractors, visitors and all other stakeholders by maintaining a safe working environment and creating a positive safety culture.
We share a commitment to a healthy and safe workplace, which requires that each employee and contractor take individual responsibility for safety – for themselves and their coworkers. Health and Safety policies and practices are actively supported by management and accountability measures for health and safety performance exists at all levels of management.
The purpose of the position is to assist in the development, implementation, monitoring and continuous improvement of the sites Occupational H&S System. The Health and Safety Advisor provides the necessary H&S support and advice to Managers, Supervisors, Employees and Contractors that will drive the safety culture of the mine site towards zero injuries.
Accountable for performing following duties with safety being the number one priority:
- Participates in the development of the H&S Management Systems. Monitors, evaluates and interprets the relative value of the results, and advises staff on how to improve H&S performance.
- Provides support to management and department staff, various site contractors and vendors in the interpretation and application of H&S rules, regulations and legislation.
- Participates in developing safety protocols and procedures for the Pretivm operations, and drives change in pursuit of the desired culture and goals.
- Provides consultation and assists in risk identification and assessment, hazard analysis and risk mitigation.
- Follows up on all incident reports to ensure they are investigated with the key objective of reducing reoccurrence of the incident.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date records associated with the responsibilities of the position.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of and adheres to all applicable legislation, standards and guidelines. Leads with influence to adopt new standards where applicable.
- Completes various H & S reports accurately and within specified deadlines.
- Conducts and proactively enables departments in hazard identification.
- Assists in conducting workplace inspections and identifying opportunities for safety improvements.
- Identifies and plans daily activities that align with the position description.
- Monitors site regularly and report to the Safety Superintendent.
- Monitors site to ensure the supervisors are completing the minimum requirements for the supervision of the safety activities.
- Other duties as required.
Professional certification in Health and Safety from a recognized establishment.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Mining, processing activities and construction activities.
- Accident/Incident investigation and root cause analysis.
- General knowledge of Emergency Response, mine rescue, &/or firefighting and willingness to participate as a member of the ERT.
- Knowledge of industrial hygiene issues and regulations such as air quality monitoring, radiation, noise, ergonomics, toxic substances, etc.
- General knowledge of health & safety systems and techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of high-risk activities such equipment lockout, confined spaces, work at heights, hot work, heavy equipment and rigging.
- Work at remote location (camp) as per employment contract.
- Able to pass a pre-employment medical screening.
- Able to lift/move up to 50lbs throughout a work shift.
- Able to maintain high levels of performance over 12-hour shifts.
- Able to work in areas of extreme weather conditions.
- Able to work in close quarters with the team.
- Pretivm promotes a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
What we can offer you:
We are committed to ensuring that all of our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable camp accommodations, as well as balanced meals prepared by our culinary team.
Team members can expect access to TV and wifi, our on-site gym and a variety of recreational activities.
All of our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Paid travel days, including transport to and from site.
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications.
- Extended medical benefits and wellness coverage.
It is important to note that the wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING NEW CHALLENGE JOIN PRETIVM AND THE BRUCEJACK MINE TODAY!